skip to Main Content

What to take when studying in the USA?

When moving to the USA to study, it can be a challenge to know what to take with you. Here is a handy guide as to the essentials that you’ll need to bring.


  • Passport
  • I-20 (visa)
  • Flight information
  • Health insurance documents
  • Medical records
  • Driver’s license
  • Admission letter
  • Academic documents (letter of recommendation, diploma etc.)
  • Prescriptions you might need

Sports equipment:

Any sports equipment counts as part of your baggage allowance (not in addition to), therefore, if required you can pay to take more checked bags than your allowance.


  • Laptop or tablet (you will need to either bring an adaptor with you or buy one as soon as you arrive.)
  • Phone (It might not work in the USA but you will need it when you fly back home to get in touch with friends and family.)
  • Headphones
  • Any other essential electronics that you will definitely need during your time in the USA

Personal Items:

  • Photographs and other memories to remind you of home.
  • Formal outfit (for functions and ceremonies)
  • Comfortable clothes to wear around the dorm (this is where you will spend a lot of your time)
  • More expensive clothing items such as shoes and coats (you can buy basic, cheaper items of clothing such as underwear and socks when you arrive to save on the baggage weight limit)
  In regards to items to decorate your dorm room, these can all be bought once you arrive. You may also be able to co-ordinate with your roommate (if you have one) so that you don’t need to buy duplicates of items such as mirrors and cleaning items. The key is to make your room as homey as possible to reduce home sickness and to help you enjoy your time overseas!
Back To Top